Journeys of a Pregnant Virgin

Friday, November 18, 2005

 

Crowded

It's not quite a week since I checked in last but I have a weekend of seminars coming up and likely will not feel like writing at the end of the day. There is simply too much going on right now. Yesterday I had meetings, seminars, and interviews scheduled from 8 am to 9 pm, pretty much solid. When I woke up at 7 am to the alarm clock (which I hate and rarely have to do) and did not even have time to properly record a dream, I knew something was wrong with this picture. So I decided to skip my morning seminar and go for a long walk instead. With a forecast of very cold weather and snow to come, I headed to the Brockenhaus to see if I could pick up some gently used boots to tide me over the next few weeks until I get back to Vancouver. But I hadn't realized that this is the Swiss version of the Salvation Army, and while they had some very nice furniture (that would pass for antique in Vancouver) at great prices, the clothing was shabby and limited and I did not find anything worthwhile. The walk in sunshine at noon was lovely. Even so I felt crabby and spent during my final meeting last night, and could not wait to get back to the privacy and comfort of my little room.

Today I went to a morning lecture but again decided to skip Part Two in the afternoon. Instead, I took myself down to Spruengli Cafe and experienced the first snowflakes of the season, in the midst of bright sunshine - a strange combination indeed. It was nice to see the liveliness and animation on these normally sedate Swiss faces as big white flakes settled on their jackets and they squinted their eyes against the sun.

The good news is that I have only two more Admission interviews next week and then they will simply have to decide whether they want me as an official student or not. Not surprisingly, these interviews are not really "interviews" at all in any conventional sense. They are a combination of interview, screening procedure, and analytic hour. The process is strange, fascinating, unsettling, and surprising. But never boring.

I finally made it to the Five Rhythms dance class with Maya on Tuesday night. It started out well and I was enjoying the music and dancing quite a lot (even though it had a rather more intimate feel than I had expected - Maya says that is different every week), until a woman too caught up in her orgiastic dance experience and oblivious to those around her - including moi - smashed my poor bare little left toe with her heel. At first it just felt sore but then it really became painful and I could not put weight on it, let alone dance. By now it has turned several interesting shades of blue. So much for that experience! I can see potential value in exploring the Five Rhythms, but that class was a little too wild and uncontained for me!

My reading lately has not been of the quotable kind, alas, and so I have no inspiring words with which to close. But I will be on the lookout for next time. Until then, my best to all.





<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   April 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   May 2007   June 2007   January 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?