Journeys of a Pregnant Virgin

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

 

Lilacs

In the last week we have gone from 11 to 29 degrees, and I spent three days lounging in my shortest shorts and little summer t-shirts. Only at home, of course. Apparently the Swiss do not wear shorts in public and I would not wear these out in Vancouver either, except for jogging. But I did wonder whether I'd brought enough summer clothes as I climbed the hill back to my little nest after class, sweating and glowing with the heat. Now it is cooler again and grey, but apparently these dramatic changes are quite normal here.

I have never seen so much lilac in my life! It is in full bloom all through the city and I catch whiffs of its exquisite delicate scent as I walk through the streets. Every shade of dark purple, pink-purple, light lilac, white - huge trees all over. My favourite flowering tree of all and in such abundance. What glory! I thought as I walked and walked the other day that London in the spring and summer is like a big park, but Vancouver and Zurich are like endless gardens.

It was lovely to be out in the streets in broad daylight at 8 pm last weekend and see everyone in outdoor restaurants and simply walking the cobblestone alleys. I still feel delighted surprise at times that I am actually here in Zurich, doing what I've wanted to for so long. I've had an intense several days of lectures and seminars - plus a cold, which was not a good combination. I found myself so exhausted by the end of the weekend that it actually occurred to me, maybe I'm just too old for this - and then I woke up with a cold on Monday morning and realized that was reponsible for my depleted energy. Relief! I'm on the mend now and yesterday Virginia and I went to the Rietburg Museum of Asian Art and enjoyed the luscious Indian goddesses and the unabashed eroticism of lovemaking gods and goddesses. Then we ended up at her favourite quaint little Swiss cafe for coffee and cake in the Old Town, where the waiter entertained us with his cheeky English and enjoyment of his own humour. Virginia is on her way back to Calgary this morning and I will miss her warm-hearted extraverted companionship - although we will surely meet up soon, in Vancouver or Zurich or both. It was wonderful to have a buddy with whom I could laugh and share irreverent observations, and we kept discovering how much we have in common.

Now I will head into a quieter period, I think, before Steve arrives for two weeks. Tomorrow is a holiday and I will go to a morning church service in the beautiful Grossmunster to hear some Bach Chorales. I also want to do some reading, as I have really only dipped into Marie Louise von Franz from time to time, and I have several Jung Reading Seminars coming up soon. Unfortunately the library is not yet up and running but I'll take the train to Kusnacht again and spend a day in their wonderful library.

Must head out for milk and a few other things before my 10 am lecture. Perhaps I'll say more about the actual lectures and seminars another time. One last thing: I have discovered the wonderful Zurichberg behind my apartment - actually I live on the incline leading up it but I did not hike up until last weekend, and discovered fields of charming little private gardens full of flowers, and then at the edge of the woods, the most beautiful panaramic views of all Zurich and the lake, gleaming in the hot light. I will be there often, I know. And what a hike it is: about 300 steps to the edge of the woods, as good a work out as jogging, which I am not doing here. Until next time...





<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   April 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   May 2007   June 2007   January 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?