Journeys of a Pregnant Virgin

Friday, April 29, 2005

 

Rhythm

Two weeks ago I had just arrived in Switzerland. I can't decide if it feels longer that I've been here, or if it seems just a few days ago that I was packing my bags in Vancouver. Maybe both. Time has a funny way of both condensing and expanding in a new environment and schedule. It certainly feels like too long since I've felt Steve's arms around me and his body in my arms. Yes, I do miss hugging the bodies I love. A little skin-hungry, although I received a sweet enthusiastic hug when a lovely young(er) Danish woman - but then they all seem younger these days - and I realized we are both "graduates" of Marion Woodman's Leadership Training program. Her face lit up and we spontaneously threw our arms around each other. "I feel like I just discovered a soul sister," I said. "You sure did," she laughed.

Yesterday I went to the original Institute in Kusnacht to hear a lecture on creativity and then sat by the lake with Virginia and Ingrid and discussed our lectures and seminars to date. We laughed about everything and nothing. The sun was warm and I enjoyed our serious and silly discussion and the whole range of topics we touched on. Later we met for a wonderful documentary titled "Rhythm Is It," about a collaboration between Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic and an English choreographer, Royston Maldoom, wherein 250 Berlin school kids and young people without previous dance experience put together a remarkable production of Stravinsky's "The Rites of Spring." But as fantastic as the production turns out to be, the deeper story involves some of the young people, mostly from under-privileged homes, for whom the experience is profound and transformative. The German film brochure describes the film as "a declaration of love for the dancing teenagers and their mentors, a film about the fascination of music, a film full of passion, respect, and joy of life." I would agree, but it is also gritty, and there is plenty of alienation, dejection, and hardship evident. The film is anything but sentimental - all the more wonder that the the passion and joy come through in such an authentic way.

There is more to say but the churchbells have just struck 10 pm and I am tired. Perhaps I'll write again soon.





<< Home

Archives

April 2005   May 2005   June 2005   July 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   April 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   May 2007   June 2007   January 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?